Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Thursday, June 30, 2005

The fans matter at Hereford United

A Letter in this morning's Hereford Times gives Hereford United a pat on the back for being a caring club.

Just want to tell you a heart warning story in an age when corporate sponsorship, brand image and money seem to dominate the national headlines about football.

My dad and I go to Hereford United as often as we can, in total over 70 years between us! My dad has always been a season-ticket holder but because I live away and also study at university at weekends, in the past I have not bought a season ticket.

My dad is disabled having suffered a stroke some times ago, but he has never let that stop him from getting up in the stand to take his seat. During the last season my dad was also diagnosed with cancer and, although he missed some of the early season, by December, with my help, he managed to go back for virtually every home match until the last with Stevenage.

My dad is still ill, so he will need my help next season to get up to his seast, so I wrote to the club for a season ticket, asking them to allocate me the seat next to him. I was realy upset to find out that that seat had been allocated to the club sponsors and I wouldn't be able to sit with him.

I ran the club to find out more and told them our story. They put me on hold for five minutes and then said they would move the sponsors so thast my dad and I could sit together.

I just think this is a great story from football's grassroots! It seems that after all in some clubs the fans do matter.

I also want to thank Hereford United for being so caring.

Vicki Morris, Bristol