Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Watkiss wants a pay-day

Stuart Watkiss, manager of cash-strapped Kidderminster Harriers, is hoping that Saturday's derby with Hereford United will bring his club a much welcome cash boost.

The Harriers, according to the Kidderminster Shuttle, are hoping for their biggest gate of the season. Last time the Bulls visited in January 2000 there was a crowd of 4606.

"For whatever reasons - and we wish we knew the answer - we've been performing much better against the better teams. Obviously, Hereford come into that category.

"It's also a local derby, so it's got all the ingredients of a good game, one that we're looking forward to. But, again, it's one that we know we'll have to be at our very best to have any chance of winning.

"But we're optimistic. Hereford play the right way. They get it down and pass it and I hope I'm not tempting fate, but those type of teams seem to suit us."

Turning to the Harrierrs fans, Watkiss asked for their support.

"Obviously, we need your support to get behind the boys, stick with them and cheer them on."

Meanwhile Harriers' Gareth Sheldon has also been talking to the same paper, who revealed that he had considered joining Hereford United last summer. The former Exeter City winger now insists he was right to join Kidderminster.

"Hereford was the only other club I could have joined in the summer. I changed my mind about going there because the squad was too big.

"I'd rather take my chances here and I'm confident I've made the right choice."

"It's a long season, as I keep telling everyone. Fair enough we've lost five or six games but teams are going to do that throughout the league.

"Everybody in this division can beat everybody else, but once we hit that good purple patch I don't think there's many teams that will be able to beat us."