Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Willo wants to score on his birthday

Former Hereford United striker Andy Williams has never scored a goal on his birthday but is hoping he will get the chance next month with Bristol Rovers. The game is against Crystal Palace in the Carling Cup.

"My birthday falls on the day of that game, and it would be nice to get on and score," he told the official Bristol Rovers website

"So far in my career, there have been two games on my birthday, but I've never actually got on to the pitch in either of them. Hopefully, that will change this year."

In a long interview Willo reveals he was disappointed with the way he has played so far.

"I was a little bit disappointed with the way I played, and I'm hoping to impress a little bit more than I have done so far, but it's going to take time to settle in and get up to full match fitness. Hopefully, with the more games I play, the better I will be and the more I'll start showing people what I can do."

Willo has just returned from a club tour of Scotland.

"It's all a new experience for me but everything has gone well so far. I'm really enjoying myself and I hope that continues. All the lads have been good to me and made me feel very welcome.

"I feel much fitter than I ever have already and I'm looking forward to improving as a player.

"The training here has been a little bit different to what I've been used to in the past. We did a lot more running at the start of pre season, along with more stretching and dynamic work, which has been good, and I've benefited a lot from that."

Willo contrasted Edgar Street's open days with the one that has just taken place at the Memorial Stadium.

"We had open days at Hereford, but I guess there were three times as many people at the Memorial Stadium than there were at Edgar Street. It was unbelievable, and it was nice to meet so many supporters, and they gave me a great welcome.

"I played against Rovers, at the Memorial Stadium, last season and the fans were brilliant then. I remember that, with a minute to go, it was obvious that Rovers were going to win and the noise they made was unbelievable. I'm really looking forward to playing in front of such passionate fans."