Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Monday, April 22, 2013

Stam Hopes For New Contract


Stefan Stam With Chris Sharp At Telford On Saturday
Hereford United captain Stefan Stam has given an interview to a Dutch Football Site, voetbalprimeur.nl, in which he talks about his time at Hereford United. The 33 year old appears hopeful he might be offered another contract at Edgar Street but he knows it will be for much less money than he has been earning.

First Stam mentioned the problems in getting back into the Football League, which he knows won't be easy.

"The Conference only promotes one club directly and there are some really big clubs in the competition," said Stam.

"Clubs with rich, ambitious chairmen.

"They want (promotion) so badly.

"Hereford has had troubled times. We work with a very young team, but this season the budget has been halved.

"I get my paycheck just yet paid but you notice that it is not quite alright. 

"The club is losing thirty thousand euros per month, this needs to be addressed.

"A good cup run is almost vital for clubs. If a few games are live on TV the club earns as well."

When the article first appeared the season wasn't quite over.

"Personally I have a Football League contract. The manager is satisfied. The club will be offering me something at the end of the season.

"But it remains a precarious exsistence especially as the contracts are shorter and there is less money. I've never had a summer without some income."

Stam says he wants to continue playing football hopefully with Hereford but if not perhaps in Spain.

"People know me here. Yes, sometimes I have an injury, but when fit I play at a good level.

"My partner is from Seville. If we decide to leave England we will go there. But I'm hopeful I can play football in the Football League again.

"I'm captain at Hereford and life is good. It's not Seville or Amsterdam but Hereford is fun.

"I'm a typical English defender with a Dutch left leg."

Stam has played more games this season (45) than in many previous campaigns.

"I play every season about twenty games, but I've had some bad luck with injuries. But I have always earned a new contract."

(Stam's quotes have been translated from Dutch to English and therefore might not be 100% accurate)