Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Saturday, September 30, 2017

114 In 114 For Mills


Hereford striker John Mills spoke to BBC Hereford and Worcester after today's 2-0 win over Hornchurch at Edgar Street. He scored a goal which takes his tally to 114 goals in 114 matches.

"It was good to get through," said Mills.

"The main thing was to get the result and get through to the next round.

"Leaves us one more to go so I hope we get a nice draw on Monday.

"Nice to get a couple of goals and another clean sheet.

"They were very organised, a big physical side.

"First 15 minutes they brought the game to us so we had to hang on in there but to be fair going against the wind and up the hill I thought we dealt with it quite well.

"We knew if we went in at half-time 0-0 we would have a very good chance second half and to be fair we pushed on straight away in the second half."

Keith Hall asked Mills what it was like playing alongside Lance Smith.

"I don't think we are that similar.

"He's mobile, he's quick, he's strong, he takes a lot of the work off me, I don't do too much when he's there! It's nice, a bit different.

"We've got Simmo and Pablo on the bench. It doesn't matter who plays it's going to be a strong line-up.

"It is enjoyable playing with someone who can run in behind, comes short, it adds a different dimension.

"Preen has come on leaps and bounds. He took a while to get going but the last five or six games he's unbelievable. Scoring goals left, right and center. He's beating his man a lot more and we hope that will continue for him."

Mills was asked about the penalty.


"He's come diving in, I took a touch when I probably should have shot first time but I managed to get the shot away and as he's come diving in his hand have come above his head.

"My point of view the ref had no choice as it was going on target. So we'll take it and it gave us a two goal cushion and then we ground out the result quite well.

"Because of the video footage they've got here I imagine Hornchurch had done their homework to see which way I go. Their keeper got a little hand to it but luckily I struck it hard enough."

Hall reminded Mills of the stat of him scoring 114 goals in 114 games.

"As a striker you always know how many goals you've scored, how many you want to score. I'm no different.

"Everyone knows the main part of my game is scoring goals and as long as I do enough for the team then that's the most important thing but the goals are a nice little bonus.

"It's been drilled into me a little bit that I do need to offer a bit more, goals aren't just enough, I must do other things defensively, make some runs which is not comfortable for me but I'm happy to do that as long as I'm playing." 

On Wednesday night at Frome Mills scored a spectactular goal and some described it as a 'Chinese Volley'.

"I've never heard of it," said Mills.

"I've had a word since and no way is that a 'Chinese Volley'.

"It's probably the cleanest goal I've ever scored, it's surprising that the Gaffer was trying to take it away from me like that but it's fine, it was a bit of a joke. I let it slide.

"It was probably one of my better goals since I've been here. I don't scotre too many good ones, they are usually in and around the box."